July 13th & 14th
University of Utah
The University of Utah Staff Council (UUSC) is delighted to host this year's UHESA gathering! We look forward to great conversations, good food, and the opportunity to share our campus with you.
This year's UHESA Annual Conference will be held at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City on Thursday, July 13th and Friday, July 14th, 2023.
Registration is now closed. For information, please contact Lisa Rigtrup at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location & Parking
We will be meeting in the Research Administration Building (RAB) First Floor Conference Room (#117), located at 75 South Connor Street (circled in pink on the map).
The Research building is listed as "Research Admin." on the map to the left, and reserved parking spots will be located near the Benchmark Plaza 820 building (also circled in pink on the map).
It will be easiest to access parking from Connor Road and then to walk back to the RAB. Please note that there will be signs to guide your way to parking, as well as humans to direct you back to the Research Administration building.
Day 1 - Thursday
9am - Breakfast and Welcome to the Conference
9:45am - UHESA Website Inventory and Update Proposal
10:15am - Addressing the Needs of Older Workers: Ensuring Employees are Prepared for Longevity and Retirement
- Guest Speaker: Anne Asman, University of Utah Department of Gerontology
12pm - Lunch (provided)
12:45pm - Campus Tour
- Start at Gardner Commons
- Jo Scofield will be driving groups down to the Commons and back up to the RAB after the tour
3pm - The State of Childcare: Challenges and Childcare Resources for Higher Ed Employees in Utah
- Guest Speaker: Bree Murphy, University of Utah Childcare Strategy Facilitator, Human Resource Department
Day 1 Wrap-Up
4:30 pm - Homework:
- Brainstorm Topics for Professional Development Webinars
- Consider nominations for open UHESA positions
5:30pm - UHESA Social: Munchies & Games at Dave & Busters
- Dave & Busters, Gateway Mall in Downtown Salt Lake City
- Optional activity; we can help you get downtown if you'd like to come with us on UTA TRAX.
- Hors d'oeuvres, soft drinks, and game cards provided; Dinner on your own.
Day 2 - Friday
9am - Breakfast and Day 2 Introduction
9:30am - UHESA Housekeeping
- Constitution update
- Executive board should be meeting monthly to discuss strategic goals
- Improving leadership transitions ("elect" roles, training)
- How is UHESA service codified in each member institution's bylaws?
- How are subcommittees organized and staffed?
- Should we change the "Legislative Chair" position to a "Government Relations" position?
- They would work on research, evaluation, and serve as a source of information about legislative/government issues of interest
- This person could work with UHSE and communicate UHESA's priorities for the upcoming legislative session, connect with other state institutions for information
12pm - Lunch
1pm - Conference Wrap-Up
- PR/Comms Chair
- Legislative Chair
There are numerous lodging options in Salt Lake City, and we've compiled a list for your reference. Below are a few suggestions with easy access to the U.