Staff Council proactively pursues and researches existing and new initiatives, policies, programs, and service projects designed to enhance, promote, and support: staff development, staff welfare, and staff organizational responsibilities.
Staff Council also creates and administers opportunities for staff participation and leadership within the University setting.
Who We Are
Staff Council consists of 30 staff members (both exempt and non-exempt) from across campus. They are appointed by the University President for a term of three years, with one-third of the membership rotating off each year. Officers of the Council include a President, President-elect, and Secretary/Treasurer, each serving a one-year term. There are also three ex-officio members, four alternates, and a representative from the Retired Staff Employees Association.
Purpose and Objectives
Staff Council was established and is delegated authority by the President of the University to bring to the attention of the administration and Board of Trustees matters of general staff concern. The Council acts in an advisory capacity to the University President and the Board of Trustees. As such, the Council takes such actions as are necessary to accomplish the following objectives:
- Provide a forum for communication, soliciting and distributing information among staff, and between staff and University administration, concerning plans, programs, and issues affecting staff.
- Represent staff when issues are considered by Central Administration.
- Represent staff on University committees, planning groups, and task forces, and in the community, as deemed appropriate.
- Consider, study, and make recommendations to the University President, Board of Trustees, and other University officials regarding procedures, policies, and other general issues and concerns.
- Assist staff in identifying, locating, and accessing appropriate persons, departments, resources, and programs for assistance with employment issues.
View current Staff Council bylaws HERE.
Communications and Selections
The Communications and Selection Committee (UUSC-CSC) is dedicated to facilitating and improving communication between Staff Council and campus. UUSC-CSC facilitates the selection process and awarding of staff scholarships, selects new council members, and coordinates campus communication via social media, website, and other forums.
The Development Committee raises money for staff scholarships through fundraising efforts, payroll deductions, and department donations.
The Events Committee coordinates activities for the entire University of Utah community. These events enhance employee experience and raise funds for staff sholarships.
The legislative committee actively engages university staff in the legislative process and university priorities through education, awareness and advocacy.
Staff Council meets on the first Wednesday of every month from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. All interested parties are invited to attend these meetings. Most meetings are held in the Faculty Center, 1705 F in the Marriott Library, though if you plan to attend a meeting, it is advised that you contact us to verify that the location and time have not changed.
If you have an issue that you would like the Staff Council to address, please contact us, and the Executive Board will determine the most appropriate forum to address it.